Apple Pie made with fresh apples makes me think of cool fall nights and family time. It’s always a hit at thanksgiving and is a fall staple for many people. I make my apple pie every year at least a few times and my family always has to have a slice! This past year I made this Apple Pie Recipe so much that I have memorized the it to the letter!
I decided after some encouragement from my friends, coworkers and family to share this great fall recipe with you. It’s not hard and as long as you follow the recipe you will be making a wonderful pie for your family and friends in no time.
Disclosure: the following does contain affiliate links if you click on them and make a purchase I get a commission. I am only recommending products I use.
Apple Pie Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling dough
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- Ice water
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
or try this Gluten free/vegan pie crust
- 7 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into thin slices
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- 1 egg (optional)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 stick of butter cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
Make the parts of your Apple Pie
- In a large bowel combine flour, sugar salt and cinnamon, cut the shortening into the mix. (If you have a food processor use it or do this by hand. I have done both and they turn out the same.) It should eventually have the texture of wet sand.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp of water over mixture, keep sprinkling 1 tsp at a time until the mixture comes together and you can kneed the dough with your hands.
- Form the dough into a ball then split in half and form each into it’s own ball. Place in refrigerator for at least an hour. (dough can sit for up to 3 days)
Preheat the oven to 375 when you are reading to start making your pie.
Apple Pie Filling
- Cut apples by hand or with an apple peeler. (I use this apple peeler)
- Mix egg, sugars and cinnamon in large bowl. Add apples and mix until they are coated in the mixture.
Put your Apple Pie together
- Take dough out of the refrigerator and place on floured surface. Dust your rolling pin with flour. Then roll dough out until it fits your pie plate. You want to make sure your dough it even. You can cut the edges of the dough off the pie plate if needed.
- Once you have your dough placed in your pie pan add the apple filling. Filling should overfill your pie plate. It will reduce when cooking.
- Sprinkle your crumb topping on top of the apple filling.
- Place in the oven for 45 minutes. If topping starts to brown too quickly place aluminum foil over top.
- Serve anyway you like. I love to whipped cream or vanilla bean ice cream!
Did you try my apple pie recipe with fresh apples? Share your thoughts below. Don’t forget to check out my other recipes.
Share on Pinterest: